Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Yakima, my ol' stomping grounds

Our next stop is my old stomping grounds, and near where I graduated High School, Yakima Washington.  We invaded the home of my best High School buddy, Gary and his wife JoAnn.  It’s been quite awhile since we’ve been able to get together.  I got him started in the Forest Service and he’s done very well, and beat me into retirement, if that’s what you can call it, he’s still working during fire season.  You can’t beat that!  Not having to put up with all that paper work, and getting to pick and choose when you want to work!  Of course the Forest Service is like every other Federal Agency, cutting, cutting, and more cutting, but like this year, SOMEBODY has to fight the fires!  I’m just jealous, I have fond memories of the Forest Service, and also the FAA.  Gary and I solved all of the problems in the Federal sector, while Sandy and JoAnn traded some secrets about crafts and traveling to Italy (our next big adventure).

I took advantage of Gary’s help and we removed the slideout awning to investigate a water leak we’ve been having.   It’s been raining most of our trip until now, but as we turn south, the weather is getting warmer and drier.  But, this awning was sagging with a big puddle of water on it, and when the slide is moved in, some water is forced inside the coach at the last minute.  Once that water had found a little worm hole, it was happening more and more.  So, after talking with Winnebago Tech Support (these guys are great!) I felt confident in taking off the awning.  We cleaned up the flashing on the slide roof and found some likely spots for water intrusion.  We found that the flashing had some gaps in it, so it was an easy fix to caulk that outside edge, and re-assemble the awning.

We had a BBQ with some other High School buddies too.  Most of the guys I hung out with are still in town, we just couldn't reach them on short notice.  So, Dave & Sue, and Steve were kind enough to come over for a few.  Sandy and I made Banana & Nutella Crepes for dessert.  (We learned this trick in Isla Mujeres, Mexico).   Steve has been working on Harley's or some type of motorcycle since he could walk (his dad owned the shop).  Dave is now working for a local trucking firm.  It was great seeing them again.

Thanks Gary and JoAnn for hosting our little party.

2 comments:

  1. Good thing you guys found that leak. I'd definitely recommend getting some Eternabond tape...wounderful stuff for any kind of sealing job.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nina, I'll keep an eye out for that tape.

    ReplyDelete