Friday, March 30, 2012

Replace Backup Monitor

The B&W backup monitor went out on our '08 Tour.  Of course I looked on this forum to find out what others have done.  There is an outfit out there that has a color monitor and trim kit for sale, but I didn't want to spend that much, unless I had to.  So I tore it apart to have a look.  I noticed the fuse was blown, replaced it and it blew again.   I found a burn mark on the main chassis near the power supply area, so at this point I figured it was toast.

While I was tearing things apart I noticed one of the heat ducts was disconnected behind the dash.  My theory is, since it went out during a winter drive with all the heat on, that duct contributed to over heating the monitor.  All of the ducts behind the dash were NOT secured to the dash vents.  I secured all the vents with a screw through the flex duct into the dash vent.  I don't know if this came from the factory like this or if the previous owner had some work done in there.

After several months of research, I found a similar looking monitor on ebay, brand new VOM-784CT ($250.), used in Monaco coaches.  I took the chance and it works!  So here is the scoop.


The VOM-784 is about a quarter inch smaller, no big deal.  You do have to buy a separate interface cable for camera #1.






You can get it at Kingstonsales.com, Voyager part number 31100033 (about $20.).



You have to switch two wires on the wiring harness.  The Blue and Green wires trigger the right turn camera, or the backup camera.  I just cut and spliced them.


Because I felt the monitor overheated, I mounted a fan on the back to help with the cooling.  This monitor sits right on top of the radio/GPS unit which produces heat also.  I wired the fan into the same power source as the monitor.

So, I hope this works for the long term.  The color monitor option will cost you  at least double, but then that would be a good excuse to spring for color cameras too............

No comments:

Post a Comment